Toddler flown to hospital after being burned at tramping hut near Lewis Pass
A toddler was airlifted to Christchurch Hospital after being burnt when a can of boiling water was knocked over at a tramping hut near the Lewis Pass.
The Nelson Marlborough Rescue helicopter was called to the Manson Nicholls Hut at Lake Daniell about 8pm on Monday, landing at the site about 8.40pm, duty pilot Dion Edgar said.
The alarm was raised by other trampers at the hut who had a personal locator beacon.
“They’re definitely a useful tool if you haven’t got any cellphone reception or any means of getting out,” Edgar said.
Nelson tramper Amanda Goodall, who was staying at the hut with her father and two children, was able to activate the personal locator beacon (PLB) they were carrying.
“The PLB belongs to my dad – he has carried it for about 7 years without ever needing it. When I tramp with my kids I always borrow it, this really hit home about always taking it, even on ‘easy’ trips.”
She said the 2-year-old sustained burns when a billy of boiling water was accidentally knocked onto the floor.
“The parents did everything they could, kept him under cold water and gave him painkillers. They kept very calm, they just didn’t have any means to get him help.”